This wonderful orange cake comes from My Man's Belly a fun LA based food blog with first class recipes and fun relationship advice :-)
Recipe: Flourless Orange Cake
Recipe adapted from The Cook’s Companion
- 2 Large Oranges (thoroughly washed)
- 6 Eggs
- 8.78 Ounces Almond Flour/Finely Ground Almonds
- 8.78 Ounces Superfine Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Double Acting Baking Powder
- Flour (for dusting pan)
- Cover oranges in a medium-sized pot with water. Bring to a boil, place the lid on the pot and lower heat to a simmer, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the oranges from the water, allow to cool, cut open, remove and throw out any seeds.
- Once cool, roughly chop up oranges, including the rind.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan. This batter is really wet, so make sure that your springform pan forms a tight seal. To be safe, I still folded foil underneath and up the sides.
- Add the oranges and eggs to your food processor and purée .
- Thoroughly mix together the ground almonds, superfine sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the egg-orange mixture, to the dry ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Scrape all of the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour; the cake is done when it’s a deep golden brown, pulls slightly away from the sides, and the top springs back when touched. If cake is still very wet, cook a little longer.
- Cool completely in the pan before gently removing the sides of the pan.
- Store, tightly wrapped, in fridge.
* To make superfine sugar, just measure out the same amount of granulated sugar. Pulse in the food processor until sugar grains are much finer. Do not process it into powder
For chocolate ganache, see the ganache recipe I used to make the truffles at Christmas. Drizzle over cake while still warm. Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Cooking time (duration): 75 minutes
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert