This wonderful citrus infused ice cream comes from the Florida based food blog Moveable Feasts ... feasts for the palate eye and the mind
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Finely grated rind of 2 or 3 oranges
- Finely gated rind of 1 or 2 lemons
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups freshly squeezed and sieved orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed and sieved lemon juice
- Place the milk in the top of a double boiler over hot water on medium heat. Add the grated rinds and let cook uncovered until small bubbles appear around the edge.
- In a small bowl, stir the yolks lightly with a whisk just to mix. Stirring constantly, temper the eggs with half the hot milk mixture. Then add everything back to the top of the double boiler. Add the sugar, syrup and salt.
- Stir until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon...about 180° on a candy thermometer
- Strain the mixture. This is very important because the rinds will stick to the paddles on your ice cream machine.
- Set aside to cool. Add the cream and both juices. Chill in the fridge until very cold and then freeze in your churn, according to directions.