The following first class recipe comes from The Ungourmet a wonderful Oregan based food blog:
Orange Apricot Date Nut Bread
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped apricots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray oil bottom of one large loaf pan or two regular sized loaf pans. Line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the apricots, dates, ginger, orange zest and Grand Marnier. Allow to sit for thirty minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium speed for about one minute, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the eggs, honey and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and orange juice alternately to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the apricot date mixture and the pecans by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan(s). Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for about ten minutes and then transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- Note: I happened to have an oversized loaf pan that worked great for this recipe. If you have regular size loaf pans (9x5x2) you will want to use two pans.